By Tieghan and her halfbakedharvest.com a delicious recipo with chcolate and coffee.
2 sticks (1 cup OR 16 tablespoons) unsalted butter
4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons instant coffee
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons kahlua (optional, but not really!)
4 large eggs
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup nutella
Salted Coffee Caramel (or 1 1/2 cups store-bought salted caramel sauce)
1 cup black coffee
1 1/4 cups brown sugar (add 1/4 white sugar if you like a sweeter cookie)
1 cup canned coconut milk (or heavy cream)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon Kahlua
maldon salt (flaked sea salt), for sprinkling
- To make the the caramel add the coffee and brown sugar in a medium sauce pot. Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes or until the mixture has reduced to 1/3 cup. Slowly add the coconut milk and butter, whisk to combine. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat to a low boil and cook 5 minutes longer, until the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. If using a candy thermometer do not let the sauce go above 180 degrees F. Remove from the heat and stir in the Kahlua and a pinch of salt, set aside.
- To make the brownies. Line an 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper or foil, letting the edges over hang from the pan so later you can easily lift the brownies out of the pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the butter and milk chocolate to a medium size mixing bowl that is microwave safe. Microwave the butter and chocolate on 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until melted and smooth. This takes me about 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- To the melted chocolate mixture add the sugar and instant coffee, whisking until completely combined. Add the vanilla, Kahula and eggs and whisk until smooth. Stir in the cocoa powder, flour and salt until smooth and just combined, try not to over mix the batter. It will be thick. Pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Dollop teaspoon size amounts of Nutella over the batter. Drizzle with three-fourths of the caramel (you may need to warm the caramel over the stove if it has set). Spoon the remaining batter over top, using a spoon to lightly smooth out the batter. It’s ok if the batter does not cover up all the Nutella + caramel.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the brownies are set on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Just before slicing, heat the remaining caramel over the stove. Cut the brownies into bars and then drizzle the warmed caramel over the brownies. Sprinkle with salt. EAT!